Architectural Notes

There are lintels above the windows in the Victorian gabled porch, which contain carved heads, and there are others at the springing of the arches to some of the other windows. The inner door is an interesting construction, possibly 16th or 17th century, and consists of a shouldered opening recessed behind an outer arch, also shouldered. The detail is elaborated to a double curved head with a carved face above. 

There are examples of ancient scratch dials both on the east side of the original door, and on the west side of the porch. Sadly, both gnomons are now missing.

There is a Bench Mark just above the base of the tower on the southern corner of the west wall defines a height above sea level of 434 feet.

It is known that extensive rebuilding work took place in 1849-50 and it was reported in the Leicester Chronicle of 1850 that prior to the rebuilding the church was in a most dilapidated condition. The rebuilding was carried out under the direction of Henry Goddard, who added the north transept for Lord Berners, inserted a new chancel arch, and rebuilt the north wall of the nave. The pews and pulpit were also installed at this time. The restoration of the chancel was funded by the Lord of the Manor, Tankerville Chamberlayne Esq. of Cranbury Park near Winchester, Hampshire, who also presented the East window.However, this extensive work did not meet with universal approval, the Incorporated Church Building Society would have preferred a small north aisle, and this resulted in no grant being made by the society. The rebuilding work is evident in the small angular blocks used, which contrast with the mellowed medieval work.

There is a small roundal of stained glass of medieval origin, in the east window. It depicts a chalice with sexfoiled foot and the host. The remainder of the glass is much more modern.

The font is fourteenth to fifteenth century, octagonal on plan with different tracery on each panel.